Rangers Player Ratings from League Cup final defeat to Celtic

Originally published at: https://www.rangersnews.uk/match-report/rangers-player-ratings-from-league-cup-final-defeat-to-celtic/

Rangers fell to a 1-0 defeat to Celtic in Sunday afternoon’s League Cup final. The first half was dominated by Steven Gerrard’s side, but despite numerous headed opportunities from set-pieces and several openings for Alfredo Morelos, they were unable to capitalise. Rangers were throughout the game much to the disappointment of the manager. (Photo by…

Barker was absolutely fkn pish … should never have been on the bench never mind the park !! No where near deserving of a 4

Dont agree with some scores
McGregor could do nothing about the goal and saved a second. Why not a 7?
CBs just not good enough
Barisic was good until the wasted crosses at the end
Kent was much less than he could have been, but didn’t do anything wrong -6
Morelos did everything but score. there were a couple of very good saves and some poor finishing and an awful penalty, but for overall performance I would have said 6

I thought 7 would have been generous for McGregor considering he didn’t actually make a save.

Thought Barisic was excellent in first half, but was nowhere near as involved from 45-75mins and his crossing was unusually poor at the end - needed more from him then.

Kent scored so lowly because his job is to create opportunities and beat players - unfortunately, he didn’t get past Frimpong at any point and his only shot went about 20 rows back.

As for Morelos, this was a difficult one because he certainly didn’t lack endeavour and created a lot of his own chances. However, the fact is that he missed a pen, missed at least two other guilt edged chances that he should have buried (header in particular) and was lucky not to be sent off for trodding on Jullien etc. If he produced on the day we’d have won comfortably.

Fine but Defoe as 4 as well, did i miss something or did he actually get a goal. for me Freddo was 6 for effort

Agree Barisic faded badly and in hindsight, Kent was poor.
But no way Morelos deserved a red when he was not looking at Jullien and accidentally trod on him.
Yes, if he had been wearing his shooting boots we would have won comfortably.
But I do think, again on reflection, that the scores do not reflect the fact that we completely outplayed Celtic apart from scoring. That they had only one shot on target and that should have been disallowed for offside. I know goals win games, but we totally dominated them.
So again, on reflection I still think the scores were a bit on the low side. For any below average there must have been some well above average or we could not have dominated them

Yep, think in hindsight a few players probably deserved one or two more. As you say, we dominated the game and the scores don’t really reflect that. Probably just major disappointment seeping into by judgements!