Rangers loanee King must be wondering why he left Leicester City

Originally published at: https://www.rangersnews.uk/columnist/rangers-loanee-king-must-be-wondering-why-he-left-leicester-city/

When Rangers signed Andy King on a season-long loan from Leicester City in mid-August, it came as something of a surprise. The Gers already had Steven Davis, Glen Kamara, Ryan Jack, Joe Aribo and Greg Docherty as out and out midfielders and Scott Arfield as another who could fill into a central berth. :new: #RangersFC

1 Like

You can only see this as a positive. A welsh international player who has won the EPL being kept out the team by current midfielders. He was brought in to make players fight for their places and that’s exactly what’s happened. King is a good player, but would you drop any of our current midfielders? His experience will shine through as the league reaches squeaky bum time. He’s been there with pressure on him and this will help the squad.

Point taken - maybe he’ll only be given a chance when results or performances dip and obviously that’s not what we want to see. Just very surprised he didn’t get a go with both Jack and Aribo out. Given that he didn’t even get a spot in the squad at the weekend, hard to see when he will get a go.

Having said that, it was tough to see a route in for Stewart until a couple of weeks ago and look at him now!

1 Like

We never won anything last year but at this stage we were full of praise towards Coulibaly and Ejaria. We also got Lafferty McCauley, Grezda, Saddique etc. Kent was the only one that worked really well as a loan, a free or cut price deal, if all these other guys I mentioned who played last year had worked the same as Kent last year we would already have 55 in the bag. It’s worrying we have Barker, King, Polson and others not making big contributions even Jones and Ojo are a worry. Beat by Celtic and Young Boys my worry is we have brought in a load of guys that are not good enough to win us a trophy or the league. Only time will tell but at the moment it’s not looking good against our tougher opponents. I just hope King, Barker, Jones, Aribo etc don’t end up like Coulibaly, Saddique, Grezda, Lafferty etc because if they do we are fecked. Also still worried we only have two natural finishers one at nearly 38 who played against Celtic and was anonymous, one injury and suspension to any of them we are struggling.

1 Like

Wow, love the optimism Parlane :rofl: I would say it’s looking much better against our tougher opponents. Last season we got 7 points from Aberdeen, 6 from Hibs, and 2 from Kilmarnock that’s 15 points from a possible 36. So far this season we have 9 from 9 against these same teams, can’t really get much better than that. Also knocked out of both cups by Aberdeen. It wasn’t the games against Celtic that cost us winning something last year it was the games against other teams we should be beating that let us down. That seems to have improved. Sure we will need to beat Celtic but I’m confident we have the ability in our team to do that. I’m also confident the squad is a lot stronger this season, strong enough to handle 60+ games.

Sure you were right about Coulibally I was a big fan at this time last year, I thought he was going to be great for us, However, Ejaria was awful from the start. Sadiq never impressed and Lafferty wasn’t good enough for our style of play and Grezda just turned out to be a numpty. I never had much belief in these players. Sure I hoped but never believed. This season we look better, Ojo is a player, sure a little inconsistent at times but so was Kent at the start of last season, he’ll grow and develop as the season goes on, remember this is the most football he’s played in a while he’s learning every day. Barker and King the jury is still out. But Polster looks good for what he is (a squad player) he’s been decent in what we have seen of him. Jones is good enough (if he gets a chance) Stewart is playing like he was at Killie rather than Aberdeen. Murphy will hopefully get some minutes and rediscover his pre-injury form. Plus we have 3 or 4 solid center-backs instead of having to rely on the bomb scare that was Joe Worrall.

Sure we lost to Celtic but the tactics were wrong they aren’t better than us, we also lost to Young Boys but that was unlucky, a couple of errors let them score two but on another day it could have been a different story. It’s not all doom and gloom. Things are much better 12 months on no need to be so pessimistic 55 is coming! Believe in the team. WATP!

1 Like

I am positive and we seem stronger this season but after December when colder nights come in and people get injuries, I worry we have guys that will not cut it the same as last season, we are short up front if one gets injured or suspended. It’s a waiting game, only after our euro games and Celtic away and cup games will we have a clearer picture of our progress.

1 Like