Rangers keeping Defoe could be key to Morelos' Ibrox future

Originally published at: https://www.rangersnews.uk/columnist/rangers-defoe-morelos-key-future/

Veteran striker Jermain Defoe is out of contract with parent club Bournemouth in the summer – and keeping the veteran striker at Ibrox could prove key in keeping Alfredo Morelos at Ibrox long-term. Defoe joined the Gers on an 18-month loan deal in January and has been in blistering form so far this season with…

We are not long into the season, Defoe is playing well but he will be assessed on games against Celtic and our European opponents and as yet we have seen nothing in these types of games apart from two goals against a really poor St Joseph’s. If he fails to impress in these games why keep him, at 38 he should only get a new deal if we win a trophy or the league and he has been a big part of that. It’s far to early to say he should get a deal now. As for Morelos I am sure he should be taking the credit for his talent, the squad as a whole support and bring the best out of him, to pick out one guy is just daft. I am not being negative about Defoe, apart from being anonymous against Celtic he is doing well but talk of a new deal now is just stupid, a story for no reason. I reckon Morelos will go in January if a deal over 20 million is offered, do you think he would knock back a big money offer to the premiership because of his friendship with Defoe? Can you see Morelos saying this at end of the season “” ohhh Jermaine I have just been offered a contract in the premieship with a salary of 80 grand a week but since you have got a new contract with Gers I will knock back the premiership and stay here with you" hahaha I right…lol.