Kenny Miller's Rangers criticisms don't come close to matching the reality

Originally published at: https://www.rangersnews.uk/academy/rangers-miller-criticism-nonsense/

Former Rangers striker Kenny Miller has claimed that “questions need to be asked” over the lack of homegrown talent at Ibrox – comparing them with bitter rivals Celtic who have regularly had the likes of Callum McGregor, Kieran Tierney and James Forrest starring for them. Miller pointed to Ryan Jack’s position as the only Gers…

Bit of a petty defensive take this - fact is Rangers are well behind Celtic on developing homegrown talent and need to catch up - whether it’s Miller saying it or someone else is irrelevant

Not a great fan of Miller. Good past, good servant, but a bit fond of Kenny Miller for my liking. I do not agree with his comments and think that your points about having to restructure our whole club after 2012 are fair.
Against that, he is talking about youth players making the breakthrough. While we should get some credit for Gilmour, Middleton’s development is largely down to Norwich. The Celtic players he mentions are first teamers. Only McGregor is Scotland capped in our team, as Jack is an Aberdeen youth.
As you point out, Rangers are very well represented in the youth setups at U-21, U-19 and below. But we will only get credit for these players when and if they break into the first team, which I thought was his point.
This season, Mikey Johnston has done more than Mccrorie and Middleton - he has not been farmed out.
Josh McPake, Zak Rudden, Stephen Kelly along with Atakayi, Mepude,et al are all great prospects. But they need to make it before we can boast about them

Miller is spot on, how many homegrown Rangers players are in our national team? even looking at guys who came through the youth setup and are at other clubs how many? It is a awful, Rangers are supposed to have one of the best youth setups in Scotland, Fair enough we may have some youngsters coming through but like Skibadly says we can only boast about them when they make it. Even guys like Lewis McLeod and Barry McKay who were touted as future internationals and as far back as John Fleck (the new Wayne Rooney lol) not one of them has reached the highs everybody thought. 25 million for Tierney and how much would McGregor and Forest go for, that to me says it all.